Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Carrot Muffins!


mmm muffins!

I've been craving carrot muffins with cream cheese icing ALL WEEK- and have been dreaming of ways to make icing with the SCD stamp of approval! This is what I concocted- and let me tell you- DELICIOUS! :D

Cream Cheese Icing:

1/2 cup homemade yogurt (strained in coffee filter for 3-6 hours)
dash of natural vanilla
1 teaspoon honey

1. Mix together and refrigerate.
NOTE: I like to make my yogurt with 1/2 whole milk 1/2 Half and Half. I find the cream cheese is optimal this way with a whipped topping consistency.



Carrot Muffins:


Dry Ingredients
2 cups almond flour (I used Bob's Red Mill- good for breads and muffins- hearty loaves)
1 teaspoon baking soda
dash of sea salt
dash nutmeg
dash cinnamon
dash ginger

Wet Ingredients
1/2 cup homemade yogurt
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 eggs separated
dash natural vanilla
3/4 cup organic carrots (shredded)

How to Prepare:
1. Place dry ingredients in bowl- sift if possible. If not, I like to 'fluff' ingredients together by flipping it in bowl.

2. In separate bowl, mix eggs yolks, vanilla and yogurt together.

3. Add wet to dry ingredients. Fold in carrots.

4. Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Pour over batter and gently fold until white streaks disappear.

Place in muffin trays (I use silicon muffin cups) grease if you do not use liners.
Bake in preheated oven at 325 for 25 minutes- or until toothpick is clean.

Cool and top with icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave questions, comments, revisions, adaptations :)